This 15 hour CPD module offers you the opportunity to:
- explore the wide range of gender identities and consider the implications of the diversity of experience that clients may bring to therapy
- understand the factors that contribute to sex and gender identity and explore the variety of terminologies and vocabulary that clients may use when talking about matters of identification
- develop awareness of the biosocial factors and challenges that are relevant to gender diverse clients, including the impact of our current predominantly binary society, sources of prejudice and the intersections between other aspects of identity
- understand the specific issues that may impact Transgender, Cisgender and Intersex/DSD clients, including Gender Dysphoria, variance, family related problems and the processes of diagnosis and assessment and develop confidence in offering welcoming therapeutic approaches that meet individual client needs
- consider the impact that external societal factors make on gender diverse clients in terms of how others relate to them based on assumptions and attributions and explore how these issues can present in therapy
- examine your own gender identity and consider what has influenced your thinking about this aspect of yourself and others
Candidates who submit and pass a short set of tutor-marked questions will achieve a Certificate of Study worth 15 hours of CPD credit from Pink Therapy.
About the Author:
Arlene (Ari) Istar Lev LCSW-R, CASAC, is a family therapist, educator, and writer. She is lecturer at the University at Albany (New York, USA), School of Social Welfare and is the Project Director of the Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Project (SOGI). She is also teaches at Smith College School for Social Work, Empire College, and the Rockway Institute at Alliant International University. Ms. Lev is the Founder and Clinical Director of Choices Counseling and Consulting (www.choicesconsulting.com) and TIGRIS: The Training Institute for Gender, Relationships, Identity, and Sexuality (www.tigrisinstitute.com) in Albany, New York. She is also the Clinical Supervisor for Center Support Counseling Services, at The Pride Center of the Capital Region. She has authored two books: The Complete Lesbian and Gay Parenting Guide and Transgender Emergence, winner of the APA (Division 44) Distinguished Book Award, 2006.