This 15 hour CPD module offers you the opportunity to:
- develop your understanding and implications of what motivates LGB people to become parents, the different routes to parenthood they may consider
- identify the key messages from the body of research relating to same sex parenting and consider how these defy heteronormative assumptions about children’s development, well-being and family relationships
- explore the specific challenges faced by LGB parents and their children and consider the range of clinical issues they may bring to therapy
- use reflexivity to examine the impact of your own attitudes and beliefs on your therapeutic approach
- consider best practice points to inform your delivery of inclusive, affirmative therapy that is flexible enough to meet the needs of clients with diverse models of family configuration
Candidates who submit and pass a short set of tutor-marked questions will achieve a Certificate of Study worth 15 hours of CPD credit from Pink Therapy.
About the Author:
Dr Damian McCann is a clinical associate of Pink Therapy and an Advanced Accredited Sexual Diversity Therapist. He has a consultant family and systemic psychotherapy post in the NHS and is a psychoanalytic psychotherapist and clinical lecturer with the Tavistock Centre for Couple Relationships. He has published and trained widely on the subject of gender and sexual minorities and his doctoral research was concerned with understanding violence and abuse in the couple relationships of gay men. He also has a private practice offering individual and couple therapy and supervision.