This 15 hour CPD module offers you the opportunity to:
- understand the patterns and prevalence of substance use within the GSRD population and develop awareness of the scope and limitations of available research data to understand where there may be gaps in professional knowledge.
- explore the nature of the psychological, physical and social harms that can impact GSRD clients who engage in substance use
- develop your awareness of the factors that may specifically predispose GSRD clients to these harms so that you can deliver an accessible therapeutic approach that demonstrates true contextual understanding
- explore theoretical models relating to substance use and the associated psychological problems for GSRD clients
- understand the complex behaviour patterns and psychological, physical and social harms associated with Chemsex
- examine the barriers to accessing therapy that clients who engage in Chemsex may face and consider the most effective therapeutic approaches when working with this client group
- consider how you can work with substance use in GSRD clients in a holistic, personalised style and understand when referral to high intensity intervention is appropriate
Candidates who submit and pass a short set of tutor-marked questions will achieve a Certificate of Study worth 15 hours of CPD credit from Pink Therapy.
About the Author:
Dr Christopher Whiteley has worked in substance misuse, sexual health and mental health services across his career, as a clinician, researcher and policy advisor. Published in March 2015, Christopher co-authored the first guidance for psychosocial interventions for the treatment of novel psychoactive substance (club drug) misuse NEPTUNE. As a Consultant Clinical Psychologist he is now the Deputy Head of Psychology for a large London NHS Mental Health Trust. He was previously one of the advisory clinicians with Public Health England’s national Alcohol and Drug Team and is a former Deputy Clinical Director with the Doctorate in Clinical Psychology programme, University of East London.
Christopher joined the Pink Therapy Clinical Associates more than 8 years ago, and has many years experience working with gender and sexual diversity clients both in drug and alcohol services and in wider psychological therapy services. Christopher is an accredited Cognitive Behaviour Therapist, Trainer and Supervisor.